Thursday, August 4, 2011

Host Chat: Celebrity Look-Alikes

In New York, it's common to run into celebrities on the street.  Just this summer, I've had sidewalk encounters with Robin Williams, Tina Fey and Katie Couric.*  So naturally, I did a double-take today when I thought I spotted Rhea Perlman (otherwise known as Carla on Cheers).  Turns out, it was just a short woman with an overgrown perm.  If we all have a doppelgänger out there, I wonder how she feels that hers is Carla from Cheers, and not, say, Cindy Crawford?**
Jill Dobson & Courtney Friel, looking extra-similar
for an April Fool's Day prank.  4/1/09.
One TV personality with whom I'm often compared, appearance-wise, is FNC correspondent Courtney Friel.  In fact, just this week,  Red Eye's Bill Schulz took to Twitter to say, "Jill, you're the poor/blind man's Courtney Friel." I retorted with the overused-because-it's-awesome joke that Bill is a dead-ringer for Billie Jean King.  
Which leads to the question, when is a celebrity comparison not a compliment?  I believe if you tell a guy he's sexy like Bruce Willis, all he'll think is, "Oh, God, how bald am I?!"  And here's some advice for the guys out there: If a girl has the same big brown eyes and warm smile as lovely actress America Ferrera, don't tell her she reminds you of Ugly Betty.  All she'll hear is the word "ugly," I promise you! 
Perhaps the best celeb comparison happened to my friend Alicia, who has the porcelain skin and wavy hair of Elisabeth Shue.  Here's the conversation she had with a guy who approached her one evening.
Guy: You know who you look like?
Alicia: No, who?
Guy: Whoopi Goldberg.
We all wish we were as successful as Oscar/Grammy/Tony/Emmy winner Whoopi, of course, but being compared to her physically when you look absolutely nothing like her - well, it's so off-the-wall that it just might be the most ridiculous and yet the best opening line ever.  Have at it, fellas! You're welcome.
Elisabeth Shue                               Whoopi Goldberg
-----------
Have you been compared to a celebrity?  Was the comparison flattering? Click "comments" below and share your story!

*For each of those encounters, I was in workout clothes with my hair in a messy ponytail.  For someone who LOVES makeovers, I sure spend an inordinate amount of time looking like a "before" photo.
**Cheers, Cindy Crawford... am I stuck in the 1980s/1990s today?  Watch out, or I'll pop in an old tape and start grooving to The Humpty Dance!

7 comments:

  1. I've definitely had both the flattering and somewhat unflattering comparisons. In fact, I've gotten them most of my life! When I was a teenager, I used to get Tracy Nelson of "Father Dowling's Mysteries" and "Melrose Place" all the time. At that time, I wanted to act, so although she wasn't necessarily the most flattering comparison, I was just excited because I thought it meant I could possibly play her little sister on something! Later, in my 20's and 30's, I got the following comparisons on a pretty regular basis: Sarah Michelle Gellar (my most frequent comparison), Cat Deeley (I think this one was more in basic physical attributes and goofiness than an actual look-a-like), Whitney Port (I had no idea who she was at the first comparison), and Carolyn Bessette (I get this whenever I wear a ponytail). I suppose their are worse comparisons to be made, so I just take these as flattery when I get them now! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. In case I didn't make it clear, I take any comparison to the gorgeous Courtney Friel as a compliment! So thanks, Bill Schulz, even if yours was a bit of a back-handed one! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Whoopi on The View! She's so quick with her one-liners!

    As for celeb look-alikes, I've been told I'm the "Rachel" of our group of Friends. Not sure if they think I have great hair... or if they think I'm a spoiled princess who isn't capable on her own without daddy's credit card!

    So this one could be flattering or totally unflattering - I'm just not sure!

    ReplyDelete
  4. "I love Whoopi on The View! She's so quick with her one-liners!"

    Have you ever considered counseling?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've been told I'm a dead ringer for Patsy Cline. While she has a justly deserved reputation as a great artist and is beloved by so many, I am a man so I find this devastatingly unflattering.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Coincidentally, while watching last night's Redeye, I was thinking to myself how you looked like a prettier Katee Sackhoff. Or at least a similar smile.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey "Anonymous" -- get back to me when you've won ONE of the following: Academy Award, Tony, Grammy, Emmy. Deal?

    ReplyDelete