Friday, July 22, 2011

Talk Show Hopeful: Success is Contagious

Welcome to another edition of Talk Show Hopeful, where I share the latest ups and downs in my lifelong quest to become a Talk Show Host.
Melissa & Joan Rivers on my pal Rob Shuter's talk show
I think the universe is trying to tell me something.  Listen carefully and you can almost make out a loving voice saying, "Yes, Jill, you'll soon get your own (wildly successful) TV talk show!"  Do you hear it?
Aside from the voices (in my head), there are the signs...
Sign #1: My friend Rob Shuter, a frequent (and fantastic!) guest on Strategy Room, the online talk show I once hosted, recently shared this tweet:
LOVE the new ad for my talk show "Naughty But Nice with Rob" 
I love it too, Rob!  (And a shout-out to HDNet's Mark Cuban and Philip Garvin for recognizing Rob's humor, energy and charisma!)  I'm desperate to watch the show, but my cable provider doesn't seem carry HDNet.  (What? Why?!)  To double-check, I hit "guide" on my TV remote to search for Rob's show, Naughty But Nice with Rob Shuter.  After I typed in "Naughty," a lot of show titles popped up, almost none of which I'm comfortable sharing here!*  And none of them were Rob's show.  But I have a call in to my cable company to demand HDNet immediately!  In the meantime, I'm incredibly pleased to know that Rob is knocking it out of the park!  I believe success is contagious -- the better my friends and colleagues are doing, the better off I am!  Congratulations, Rob!
Sign #2: Twitter's "Similar to You" feature tells me which fellow Tweeters I'm most, um, similar to. (I guess that that went without saying.)  Usually, it lists a bunch of cartoon characters and inanimate objects, which is kind of annoying... I'd like to think I'm very animated, without being cartoonish, thank you very much!  But this week, Twitter announced that of the millions of people on Twitter, I'm most similar to The View co-host Elisabeth Hasselbeck... and, wait for it... The View co-host Sherri Shepherd!  Hey, Bill Geddie**, if you're looking for a fill-in co-host one day this summer, the Twitterverse has a suggestion for you... ME (or Time Out New York film reviewer Keith Uhlich)!  Here's proof:
Sign #3: I'm on TV tonight (actually 3amET Saturday morning), doing what I do best: Belittling Greg Gutfeld's sidekick Bill Schulz on FNC's Red Eye.  Red Eye viewers, before you tune in and start googling "Jill Dobson Fat" (again!), please note that I'm expecting a baby... and feel free to re-read my blog post: "Host Chat: The Leg Chair" -- conveniently listed on the right side of this page, under "Popular Posts."  Thanks!  Oh, this one isn't really a sign... it's actually just some sneaky self-promotion.  I'm sorry.  I'm still waiting for Sign #3.  I'll let you know when I see it!  In the meantime, don't forget to tune into Red Eye!  (Oops- there I go again!)
-----
*OK, I'll share just one: Naughty Amateur Home Videos... eek!  Not what I was looking for!
**Mr. Geddie, your bookers are welcome to call my people any time!


-----
Share your thoughts in the "comments" section below, or at:
www.twitter.com/jilldobson
www.facebook.com/jilldobson


3 comments:

  1. UPDATE: I found (a real) Sign #3! My friend Cooper Lawrence just told me she's appearing on a talk show, too! It premieres Monday - details at www.dishnation.com -- Congratulations, Cooper!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Elisabeth and Sherri on The View! They both seem so "real" and like people I could actually be girlfriends with! What a compliment to be compared to them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like they're handing out talk show gigs left and right! That's got to be a GOOD thing for anyone in that field! Love it!

    ReplyDelete