Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Host Chat: Dating Advice from Actual Experts

Welcome to another edition of Host Chat.  Just as Regis shares exciting stories from his life each morning, I share my latest tales of hobnobbing, hijinks, and more often than not, humiliation! 
Always a Bridesmaid?  Read on...
Friends often ask me for dating advice, possibly because my dating years yielded the ultimate result: One wonderful husband (see previous post). The problem is, my friends very rarely heed my advice.  When I say, "Do NOT call him," or "Break up with him NOW," they usually nod, commend me on my sage wisdom, and then later inform me they did the exact opposite... with disastrous results.  
I almost always refrain from saying, "I told you so."  Instead, I'll say something like, "That's exactly what I predicted would happen, hence my advice to NOT CALL HIM.  Remember?!"  OK, I don't actually say that.  But I probably should.  
After all, Straight-Shooters usually get their own talk shows (right, Dr. Phil?), while Dance-Arounders like me just keep waiting for someone like CBS President Les Moonves to call with a talk show offer... and waiting... and waiting.
This week, while waiting for Mr. Moonves' call, I picked up The Little Black Book of Big Red Flags.  It's essentially the dating guide for the Sex and the City generation - ladies who know how to meet men, but might be struggling to meet the right men.  I always say, the best way to meet the right man is to stop wasting time on the wrong man.  Here are some the book's tips on how to determine if you're wasting time on wrong man:
Red Flag Rule #8: If he explicitly says, "I'm never going to be the boyfriend type," take his word for it.
Red Flag Rule #12: If a guy can pick up a phone and send a text, surely he can use the same phone and call you with it.
Red Flag Rule #44: A guy who has less-than-stellar friends is most likely less-than-stellar himself. 
Good tips, right?  It all probably sounds pretty familiar to a lot of my friends. So why haven't they been taking the above advice from me?
My dad introduced me to the very helpful expression: An expert is someone from 50 miles away.  Ergo, to my friends, I'm no expert, I'm just Jill.  But this book is written by 3 women in Los Angeles, which is almost 3,000 miles away -- making them experts 60 times over -- and it has the added caché of being published by an actual publisher.  So, dear friends, if you won't listen to me, please take the advice of the authors of The Little Black Book of Big Red Flags.  They could save you a lot of time and heartache.  Not that you're listening...


-----
Share your dating advice in the "comments" section below, or at:
www.twitter.com/jilldobson
www.facebook.com/jilldobson

3 comments:

  1. I'm going to buy that book for myself... and for my single friends!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ms. Wrong is never rightJuly 19, 2011 at 5:44 PM

    Jill:
    You make some great points about dating. One of my friends always makes the mistake of staying with a girlfriend just to pass the time and not be lonely, until he finds his next "girlfriend." Because of your "expert" advice, i'm going to tell him to end things with his current hussey, and get out there and meet the right woman!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great tips! What do you think of books like "He's Just Not That Into You" or "Act like a Lady think like a Man"?

    ReplyDelete