Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Host Chat: Yogi's Choice

Welcome to Host Chat.  Just as Regis shares exciting stories from his life each morning, I share my latest tales of hobnobbing, hijinks, and more often than not, humiliation! 
Utkatasana aka Powerful Pose aka Chair Pose... aka Ouch!
I'm reeling from a Twitter comment comparing my recent Red Eye appearance -- with my baby bump -- to that of a Sumo wrestler.  The Sumo comment knocked me off-balance because, in many ways, I'm in the best shape of my life.  That's due to my new obsession: prenatal yoga. Today's class was so hard!  Not only did we hold several lunges and warrior poses until our quads were burning, but then we held the Utkatasana pose (photo above) five times longer than I thought I was capable of... and then we did a couple of wall sits, you know, just for fun!  I challenge you to get up right now and follow these directions for Utkatasana: Bend the knees as if you're about to sit down on a chair, bringing your thighs as close as parallel to the floor as possible.  Now stay there for, say, 30 seconds.  Rest for a moment.  Now repeat!  
While you put out the fire in your legs and get your heart rate back to normal... I'll try to develop the thick skin Kelly Ripa, Sherri Shepherd and Elisabeth Hasselbeck must've formed to survive the daytime TV spotlight. I'm not sure how they did it!  I guess I'll start with an Ommmm.  (Which, unlike Utkatasana, I'm actually able to pronouce!)
-----
Share your thoughts (especially the non-Sumo ones!) in the "comments" section below, or at:
www.twitter.com/jilldobson
www.facebook.com/jilldobson

4 comments:

  1. First of all, you DO NOT look like a sumo wrestler. You look FANTASTIC. A pox on the house of the person who said that. Good for you doing yoga. It's not easy, even if you're not preggo!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I actually think you look less like Courtney Friel and more like a beautiful purebred Lhaso Apso. Albeit one who's trained to dispense all manner of helpful entertainment facts. Who's a good girl?? Jill's a good girl!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Sumo statement was a crock, but so is yoga. I've been doing Native American Yoga for decades now and I do look like an out-of-shape Sumo wrestler. I can hold the Sitting Bull, Slain Warrior and Lies With Snakes poses for hours upon hours and I think its just making things worse. Stupid yoga!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Look at Bill Schulz -- learning how to post comments on blogs! I'm so proud of him (even if he is using his skills to call me a purebred dog. You know I'm all about the mutts! Just call me Junkyard Dobs!)

    Chris -- maybe try Child's Pose. Another one that will really give you the lithe body of Jennifer Aniston with continued practice!

    Irishware -- thanks for coming to my defense! I haven't brought a "pox on the house" of anyone in quite some time. Thanks for reminding me of what the really good curses are all about! :)

    ReplyDelete