Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Book Who's Talking: No Sleep 'Til Giffin

As the mother of 9-month old Shane, I spend way too much time reading, thinking and talking about sleep.
Stranger to Jill: "Does he sleep through the night yet?"
Neighbor to Jill: "Your kid sure has a set of lungs. Does he ever sleep?"
Husband to Jill: "Should we have him sleep in our room, where he's less likely to bother the neighbors?"
Friend #1 to Jill: "Have you read the Weissbluth sleep book?"
Friend #2 to Jill: "
Have you read the Ford sleep book?"
Friend #3 to Jill: "Have you read the Ferber sleep book?"
The thing is, when I'm nursing the baby at 4am, reading Solve Your Child's Sleep Problems puts ME to sleep. And I think it's safest if I'm awake while holding my baby.

Photo Source: Pop Sugar
That's where Emily Giffin comes in. Her new book, Where We Belong, is so good it keeps me awake and turning pages...even after my little one has returned to his crib in the nursery (or, since we try to be good neighbors, his Pack 'n Play in the master bedroom).
I'm not done with Where We Belong yet, and I'm kind of hoping for another rough night here at Chez Shane, so I can find out if Kirby goes to prom and if Marian finds Conrad!
Other books that have kept me up in recent months:

The Art of Fielding by Chad Harbach
Bringing up Bebe by Pamela Druckerman
The Fifth Child by Doris Lessing

Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn
Let's Pretend this Never Happened by Jenny Lawson
Like Water for Chocolate by Laura Esquivel
One Call Away by Brenda Warner
The Night Eternal (book three in a triology) by Chuck Hogan and Guillermo Del Toro
Jen Lancaster's hilarious memoirs - I suggest you read all her books! In order! 
The Snow Child by Eowyn Ivey
When it's not a book or a baby keeping me up, it's a book party. My friend Alicia got to know Emily Giffin and publicist Stephen Lee when she covered Giffin's book-turned-movie, Something Blue. So Alicia scored us invites to last night's book-release party for Where We Belong.
Please ignore my bloodshot eyes
as I enjoy this delicious "bookie."
We had a great time, but we were there much later than planned. Giffin was coming straight from a book signing, and word is a gazillion fans showed up, and Giffin took time to chat, pose for photos and give autographs to every last one. Even if that did mean she was nearly two hours late to her own party. But, hey, they had bubbly at the party...and cookies. Cookies that not only looked like Giffin's book, but actually tasted delicious! So I was cool with it, as was Alicia, even though she unwisely skipped the delicious cookies, since she was too busy typing up tweets like this:
That Alicia! So clever! She also kept asking me if I'd like to eat another "bookie." Get it? Cookie + book = ...oh, you get it.
So anyway, with her late arrival Giffin definitely kept me up past my bedtime, but sweet treats, fun friends and a celeb-spotting or two (hello there, Ed Burns!) made it all worth it. Even if I did wake up at 5:45am to feed the baby... and read more Where We Belong!
---
Ten points if you caught both '80s pop-culture references in the title Book Who's Talking: No Sleep 'Til Giffin

5 comments:

  1. I love all Giffin's books. I liked her on Kathie Lee and Hoda, too! She seems so down-to-earth and fun! I want to go to her next party with you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm going to go download Where We Belong now! Will it be a movie, like Something Borrowed? I hope so!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jill, your posts are always so funny! So jealous you got to go to the book party! How cool!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love Emily Giffin's books! The first one I ever read was "Something Borrowed" and I've been hooked ever since. I make a point to read everything she publishes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. "Hello there, Ed Burns!" Love it!

    ReplyDelete