Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Casting Call: Ben Bowman

Welcome to another edition of Casting Call: Jill's Search for the Perfect Co-Host!  With each Casting Call, I advocate for someone I'd love as my future talk show co-host.  Eventually, the viewers (and the network executives) will make the final call.
Ben Bowman (red tie, 2nd from right) on the improv stage
Today's Casting Call features... Ben Bowman!  Years ago, when I was a reporter at WWMT News 3 in Kalamazoo, Michigan, producer Ben Bowman was one of my favorite co-workers.  To this day, he remains one of the all-time funniest people I've ever met. At News 3, not only did Ben brighten my day with his wisecracks, he also encouraged me to make the nearly 3-hour drive to Chicago to take improv comedy classes at Second City (proving grounds for Stephen Colbert, Tina Fey, Mike Myers, Joan Rivers, Fred Willard... the list goes on and on and on).  I followed his advice and drove to Chicago every Saturday for months.  I absolutely loved the improv world, and continued studying and performing when I moved to New York.  I recently raved about Ben when I was interviewed for this article... though, sadly, my glowing quote was cut and there was merely a fleeting mention of "a co-worker" instead.  Well, I say, now's the time for Ben Bowman to get his due!  
These days, Ben lives in Chicago, where he performs improv comedy at night, and works as a TV producer by day.  In fact, he once used his TV connections to get both of us tickets for Letterman, Ben's favorite 11:30pm funnyman.  (Although you wouldn't know it, from the title of Ben's recent YouTube clip, "Jay Leno is a Comedy God."  Click here to watch!)
Many of you commented that my previous Casting Call choice, Courtney Friel, might be too similar to me.*  The good news with Ben is that we're very different.  Different gender, different worldviews (one of us doesn't drink, the other strongly believes it's always "5 o'clock somewhere"), and different approaches to comedy.  I try to never really insult anyone.  Ben, meanwhile, recently wrote on Twitter, "Moments ago, I thought of former MTV VJ Jesse Camp.  Then I wanted to kill myself because I remember former MTV VJ Jesse Camp."  Another difference?  I'm married to Hollywood Super Agent Jim Ornstein.  Ben is single, despite great dating advice he has received through the years, like this gem he recently Tweeted:
Actual dating advice from my grandfather: "Say, 'You are even prettier than your sister.' Don't say, 'Your sister is even uglier than you!'"
(Ben is @BowmanInc, for those of you on Twitter.)
We're also different because Ben is funnier than me.  Fact: When I was doing improv comedy shows, my audience was always composed of friends and family members who were strong-armed into attending, while people (strangers!) actually pay money to see Ben's amazing performances.  Next time you're in Chicago, you must see one here!
And next time you encounter a high-level TV executive, please let her know that she really needs to greenlight The Jill Dobson Show... and that Ben Bowman deserves a shot at the co-host chair.  Gracias.
----- ----- ----- ----- 
*OK, not one person said Courtney and I are too similar.  Instead, I received several comments, via Twitter, of the "how many lingerie pillow fights will you have" variety.  I did not dignify such questions with a response.  The Jill Dobson Show is a family show, people!  (And, since you asked, we'll have four.)

1 comment:

  1. "And next time you encounter a high-level TV executive, please let her know that she really needs to greenlight The Jill Dobson Show"

    ATTENTION HIGH-LEVEL TV EXECUTIVES!!! YOU REALLY NEED TO GREENLIGHT THE JILL DOBSON SHOW!!!

    Sadly, that's as close as I will get to tv executives, but I do believe in this cause so hopefully some of them are reading this blog and will listen to the potential viewers!

    ReplyDelete