Friday, June 24, 2011

Host Chat: Trying to look Kardashi-esque

After an ugly run-in* with Katie Couric & Company yesterday, I pledged to start walking around in full hair and makeup all the time, like a Kardashian. I'm inspired by the famous quote, "Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity."  Maybe being camera-ready all the time is one more way to be prepared, should opportunity strike.
Last night, I pulled out all the stops.  I took the tags off a brand-new dress. Then I actually IRONED it (which required a 15-minute search for the iron, since I usually have a firm anti-ironing stance).  I spent the next hour blowdrying my hair into a perfectly sleek, straight look and caking on as much makeup as I could handle.  I added jewelry and some of my cutest shoes.  Then I walked a couple blocks in the New York City summer humidity, hailed a cab, and headed out to dinner, where I was photographed looking completely un-Kardashian-esque:

So what went wrong?  Well, you'll see in the photo of Kim below, that her dress is belted to show off her small waist.  Clearly, since I'm expecting a baby, that wasn't an option for me.  
I obviously could have used a lot more makeup, including false eyelashes and plenty of blush, to amp up the glam factor. If I were truly committed to this project, I would've bought (or borrowed) a Chanel purse.  And as far as accessories go, a few paparazzi in the background never hurt.  I realize I'll never have Kim's always-amazing hair, but I clean up somewhat decently and I have a decade of journalism experience, a master's degree, and an improv comedy background.  Smart, funny, dedicated to the craft... hey, TV network execs... do any of these things make up for non-Kardashian hair? If so, my agent awaits your call.




*Meaning I looked ugly.  Not that Couric and I had an argument or something!  (See previous blog for full story).

3 comments:

  1. I love that luck quote. I used to watch so many makeover shows where they would ambush the person and show them their hidden camera footage, I resolved to always dress as if a hidden camera was taping me. I haven't always stuck to it, but it is frequently in the back of my mind. Vanity or preparation? You make the call.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You always look beautiful, Jill. I don't think I ever want you compared with a Kardashian. You're way too classy for that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's odd hearing you complain about your looks. If Kardashian is a 10, you're a 100. Keep plugging. Someone will give you your show!

    ReplyDelete