Thursday, June 23, 2011

Host Chat: Lunching with Couric

Welcome to another edition of Host Chat.  Just as Regis shares exciting stories from his life each morning, I share my latest tales of hobnobbing, hijinks, and more often than not, humiliation!
Scores* of my Twitter friends** have been asking me, "Why haven't you posted any new Jill Dobson Show things?  I like reading those."  The answer, friends, is that I've been busy lunching... with Katie Couric.  Kinda.
Earlier this week, I met up with my friend Elise for an early al fresco lunch at a place called Rosa Mexicano.  Our outdoor seats granted me the perfect view of every customer entering the restaurant.  As our iced tea arrived, I whispered to Elise, "Robin Roberts is walking up right behind you."  Over guacamole, I said, "Here comes Katie Couric."  As the waiter dropped off my enchiladas*** I told Elise, "Elizabeth Vargas and Chris Cuomo approaching."  To which she replied, "And there's George Stephanopoulos!"
Normally, I'm not one to drop names, but apparently this was a newsworthy event, since it was reported by esteemed sites including the Huffington Post.  TV Newser also picked up the story, and that site always gets its facts right, even when reporting on the mysterious comings-and-goings of TV's Jill Dobson.  So I knew this was something I should share with The Jill Dobson Show audience.
Here's the deal: I presume the lunch was to discuss Katie's upcoming role at ABC, since TV Newser reports that in addition to all the ABC on-air talent I spotted, behind-the-scenes talent like ABC News President Ben Sherwood was there as well.
We've all heard Couric is gearing up to host a talk show on the network, so maybe I should've approached the table, regaled them with hilarious anecdotes about my life as a reporter, and suggested Couric consider a The View-like format for her show, with Jill Dobson in the "fashionable young blonde mom" role (aka the "Elisabeth Hasselbeck sans strong political stances" role).
The problem, unfortunately, was fashion.  My lunch with Elise was an impromptu one, planned on the fly as I walked home from yoga class.  With my sweaty glowing face, bedraggled tousled ponytail, and too-tight fitted yoga wear, the very nicest thing you could say about my look was that perhaps I was channeling the 1990s heroin chic trend.  And probably the very last thing you would say about my look was that it screamed, "I'm a TV star!"  So I wimped out, avoided eye contact with Katie & Company, and possibly missed my big break.  Sigh.
The moral of the story?  Never go to yoga class.  Perhaps it's this: Always look like a TV star.  Kim Kardashian manages to work it every single day in full hair and makeup, sky-high heels, and the perfect designer bag.  I just need to try a little (OK, a lot harder).  But I also love casual Fridays (and Tuesdays, and Wednesdays)... don't you?
So that's what I'm wrestling with here -- whether to keep being glamorous my usual 10% of the time, or try to bring on the glamour 100% of the time. Quite a quandary.  For now, though, I'll have to table the discussion, because it's time to pull my tangled hair into a ponytail and head to yoga class!


*OK, one Twitter friend asked that question.  Thanks, @romanov_76_110!
**Notice how I don't call y'all "followers," I call you friends?  Doesn't that warm your heart and make you want to reach out to Disney chief Bob Iger and ABC News president Ben Sherwood and request they give good old Jilly Dee a talk show gig?
***I mean, er, green salad, no dressing.  Gotta keep fit because "the camera adds 10 pounds," you know.

2 comments:

  1. Make the call, Mr. Iger! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks you for mentioning me. I got to be the lead item, and I feel a little special.

    Did you ever want to be a Katie Couric, news-wise? I have wondered how much non-entertainment news and reporting you have done in your earlier career.

    ReplyDelete