Monday, June 13, 2011

Host Chat: The Jumbotron

Welcome to another edition of Host Chat.  Just as Regis shares stories from his exciting life each morning on his talk show, I share my latest tales of hobnobbing, hinjinks, and more often than not, humiliation!
Rachel McAdams (center, in hat) on a Jumbotron
A few days ago, my friend Alicia emailed me this video, titled "Rachel McAdams on a Jumbotron."  In it, the star of "The Notebook" goes crazy when she spots of herself on the bigscreen at a hockey game, which makes me (along with every hockey fan out there) love her immensely. Such enthusiasm!  Such joy!  Nothing like the many jaded, bored-acting celebrities I've encountered at junkets and red carpets. (I'm talking to you, Mark Wahlberg.)  
In the email, Alicia wrote to me, "I feel like this is what you would do on the jumbotron!"  Which makes me love her immensely.  I love that she thinks I'm as fun as McAdams.
I actually did appear on a jumbotron one time at a 2007 Yankees game.  I'd been sitting in terrible seats, but then I ran into my greenroom friend* Pam Bondi at the concession stands.  Pam brought me back to her seats (which where awesome!) to say hello to Contessa Brewer, whom I knew from my frequent guest appearances at MSNBC.  I'm not sure if it was Pam's charisma, Contessa's beauty or our proximity to the field (and therefore the cameras), but within seconds after I sat down, the three of us ended up on the jumbrotron.  Sadly, I didn't stand up and dance or do anything super fun.  I resisted those urges, and was actually quite proud of myself for just acting like a normal person... until I saw the McAdams video. McAdams made me realize there's nothing cooler than sharing genuine joy with the world.  So next time the camera comes my way, get ready to see me tootsie roll, or do the roger rabbit, or whatever other circa-1993 dance move comes to mind.  (Macarena, anyone?) 


*Greenroom friend: Someone you befriend after meeting in the greenroom (aka the backstage area) of a TV studio.  When I worked for Star Magazine, I made regular appearances at various TV studios.  I spent time almost every day in the greenrooms at FNC, CNN and MSNBC... meeting lots of interesting people.  Best greenroom encounter ever?  A baby cheetah!  I actually got to pet him!  His fur was surprisingly rough, but he was so cute... until he had a little "accident" on the floor of the makeup room.  Oops!  Time for me to go on-camera now!  See ya!

3 comments:

  1. What about the famed Chimney Sweep? Isn't that the signature Jill Dobson move?

    ReplyDelete
  2. You should definitely throw a little Cabbage Patch in there too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sam, yes, I'll definitely do the Chimney Sweep, along with my famed (terrible) British accent! And Amy, I think I forgot how to do the Cabbage Patch. Must go do some research at the library, er, YouTube, now!

    ReplyDelete