Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Host Chat: Million-Dollar Nursery

Perhaps I've mentioned I'm expecting a baby? Yesterday a friend asked, "Has the nesting instinct kicked in yet?" Yeah, baby! I'm cleaning out closet drawers, de-cluttering like crazy and gradually turning our guest room into a nursery. And while I love House Beautiful, I've actually turned to Us Weekly and People for baby decor inspiration. Ever since seeing a photo of Jennifer Lopez's nursery for her twins in 2008, I've been in love with neutrals. No powder pinks or baby blues for J. Lo... or J. Dobs!
Jill Dobson's baby will likely have significantly
fewer Missoni baby blankets than Rachel Zoe's baby.
I also looked to new mom Rachel Zoe. Us Weekly reports the fashionista's son's closet alone is worth $87,000! Most of that is due to high-priced baby fashions, including a reported $3,700 shoe collection. So far, my future kid has one lonely pair of shoes in an otherwise nearly empty closet. And that's because someone was nice enough to give us an early baby gift. (Thanks for the world's tiniest Uggs, Annie!)
In addition to shoes, Rachel Zoe's baby's closet is also full of Missoni items. I'm guessing the blanket pictured above was one of several gifts from the design house. My house, so far, is Missoni-free. Since neutrals are more my style, I'm OK with that. In fact, I'm over-the-moon for the beautiful Angela Horton baby blanket I received in shades of tan and cream. Gorgeous. (Thank goodness for my generous friends, or my kid would have a spotless-yet-empty nursery!)
I've heard reports that Mariah Carey and Nick Cannon dropped more than ONE MILLION DOLLARS on their baby nursery. Though, to be fair, they have twins. So that averages out to a much more frugal $500,000 per baby. Which probably feels like a drop in the bucket when you've sold 175 million albums. 
The equivalent for me would be if I spent $12 on my kid's room. Sounds like somebody will be taking the bus to the dollar store! Or, if I change my mind about neutrals and decide to start decorating in vivid zigzags, I could take the bus to Target instead... to load up on their new Missoni for Target line. It's nice to know that even though I've sold exactly zero albums, and starred in exactly zero reality shows, I still have options. 
Let the shopping begin - I've got twelve bucks burning a hole in pocket!

2 comments:

  1. Come back to the area and visit Shipshewana. They have beautiful soft multicolored (in many color schemes) baby blankets that you will fall in love with. And they won't cost you thousands of dollars!
    Patty Rutenbar

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't imagine you ever needing to de-clutter!!

    ReplyDelete